Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Just Another Day

Woke up this morning in a new world. The world of 49. It’s my birthday. That day of the year that passes like any other day for everyone else but is cause for me to reflect on my life. A look backward to all the great memories and blessing that have been provided but also feel a pang of guilt due to the volume of time wasted. Then I turn and look forward to thoughts of what I will do with the remainder of my time.

I do not know if God has it planned that I live to 49 and one day or another 30 years. However, I do know that number is out there. Should I scramble to accomplish as much as possible or is it a part of my life where I become comfortable in being who God has made me to be. I see no large world impact from my being here. No buildings or structures taking my name. My success will be limited in the views of this world but should I not be focused on significance instead of success?

What can I contribute to others that will make a difference after my time is gone? Are there lives that need just a touch that will show the face of God in a new light? Is there a kid that needs to see one person that is not self-centered but is actually other-centered? Is there a person that can see a glimpse of Christ because I traded in some time to follow the leading of the Spirit? Is my impact to cause a difference in the life of others, who then will make their own impact in the lives of others and so on and so on. Is that not the true meaning of significance?

What opportunities have been laid out before me but my weak eyes and ears were not open to comprehend? Lord, open my eyes to let me see, open my ears to let me hear, open my heart to let me feel. Show me the moments I need to step outside of this skin and make a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a similiar experience last year when I came to 50. My questions were very much like yours.

I did have a great surprise when my wife and a good few friends surpised me with dinner and I was given a holiday in Luxor, Egypt that my wife had created several months in advance. Nothing like that I had been done for me before.

In one way, the gift was neither here nor there, but what said by the giving.

It helped me over what had been a few months of very middle-aged regret, something I still find close.

Maybe this is one of the reasons I like your blog...a similiar timeline :)