Thursday, March 16, 2006

Tall Trees

All the trees of the field will know that I the LORD bring down the tall tree and make the low tree grow tall. Ezekiel 17:24
When we think we have all the answers and lock into our own view, do we see ourselves as above it all? Are these the tall trees God brings down? I pray I never consider myself fully grown because I love the journey. While I always hope to be growing, it seems such an assumption to ever consider that I have reached a destination in my Christian walk.

So many draw a line around what they claim to know and dare someone to cross. I can’t help but think of the Pharisees who in their great Bible knowledge thought they understood God’s plans. They did not reject Jesus because they hated God - no through their own interpretations they were actually trying to defend Him. What a horrific tragedy to stand in the presence of God on earth and not be able to see through ones own misunderstandings.

“One must be content to be a beginner and really experience himself as a one who knows little or nothing. Possessing a desperate need to learn... Those who think they “know” from the beginning will never, in fact, come to know anything.” ---Thomas Merton

No comments: