Friday, February 17, 2006

Can't keep quiet about being quiet

A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
and a man of understanding is even-tempered.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
Proverbs 17:27-28


This is other side of Silence that I blogged on a couple of days ago. These are my convicting scriptures. How I fight this battle within me between the desire to keep my mouth shut and the overwhelming urge to speak at home, at work and at church. Seldom does the mouth shut side of the battle see victory. Delay of defeat at times but conquest is around the corner when the words and thoughts boil inside me until they spill over.

I do not understand this compulsion to bring my thoughts into the public view. Maybe that is why I started this blog. Provides an avenue to speak without forcing anyone to listen. At times it is arguing with my wife, correcting my daughter, adjusting a view at work or spouting some story in small groups, I get wrapped up in speaking my mind. What causes these words to spew out of my mouth? Is it pride? Way way to often! Is it insecurity? Sure - a lot of adjusting others views of me instead of the point I am trying to make?

How these words over at Coffee Swirls , convicted me earlier this week. How I found Doug’s account inspirational. There always seems to be a Jim or two in each church. They are always there with their gracious demeanor, a warm hand, a willing attitude but few words. When he speaks his words are genuine and they are right on target with the person he is speaking with. How too I need to think of Jim as a model.

Try to let the ‘quiet side’ win a few battles now and then. Realize I can let the world move on without my input. Like Jim, learn to rest in the knowledge that God has it under his control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate what your saying about our life in Christ. I came back to Christ 10 years ago, after a long absence. I try to live what your teaching here. Thanks.

I usauly request to link by email, but I don't see that here. I'll link your site with mine, under blogs I read.

www.thejerichoroad.com

I'm trying to collect a few blogs and such that would be of real spiritual help to my readers.

I came across your site through your comment in jim winter's "For those who are God-Hungery", another spiritual help.