Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Stop Waiting

Not long ago a friend and I made plans to play golf on a Friday afternoon. The type of plan where nothing was in concrete but our intentions were to play golf. As soon as he called, I would wrap up a few things and leave work for the afternoon. It would be great to enjoy some time out on the course. However, the call never came. I got busy and worked through the afternoon not even getting out of the office until after six.

Next day when we talked, found out he had the clubs in the car and was ready to go waiting on my call. We both missed out waiting on the other to move. No one committed to call it was just our assumption that the other would pick up the phone if they really could get away.

How many missed opportunities do I let slide by waiting to see God lead the way? “God, I am looking for the unmistakable sign, something like a neon flashing arrow being held by a elephant while riding a bicycle. It doesn’t have to be a big elephant and a tricycle will do, just clearly point the direction and I will be all over it.“

When the elephant doesn’t show up right away, it may not be me waiting on God as much as God waiting on me. These words were in the margin of a book I re-read a few days ago. “When will I quit asking what God wants me to do and just do what God wants?” Wonder how frustrated God gets with me waiting for the right door to open when I could be using the doors that are already there?

No comments: