Wednesday, March 08, 2006

In Vain

Thou shalt not take the name of Jehovah thy God in vain; for Jehovah will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Exodus 20:7

Grew up thinking of the 3rd commandment as an admonishment to keep my tongue in check. No cursing or profanity. Hey, maybe this one was within reach. Oh I went through parts of my life where cursing was how to “fit in” with the crowd and I confess I fit in. However, when I chose to stop, it was not one of those thorns that caused me to wrestle for years.

Then in another Ahhhhhh-Ha moment, the words finally came with a different twist, a new aspect. Do not take the Lords name in vain. This is not a simple instruction regarding an expletive flying from my mouth when things spin out of control. No, this is a much higher calling. I am sure others already understood this commitment but I remember it as an awaking to me to realize God was calling me to take His name and act like it. If I was going to use the name of Christian or Child of God then it has to be a full time commitment. Not just on certain opportunities but at all times – in every situation.

As a wife takes a husbands name, so do I take the name of our God. Let it not be in vain. It says in the commandment, He will not release me from this one. His name is sacred, act like it!

1 comment:

Bob Spencer said...

Excellent. I had never thought about it this way, but you make good sense. Thanks for the post.