Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Forgiven

Have heard these words quoted, ‘Christians aren’t perfect – just forgiven’. Dallas Willard points out that Christians often do not see the need to follow or be like Jesus. All that is needed is to believe the proper view of Jesus – the correct doctrine - and nothing else is required. No effort – No action.

“Do you have a ticket for heaven? Sit over there, try not to get dirty and some one will be by later to take you in.” Is that how we see the Christian life? If we focus strictly on our salvation – does that view become selfish? “If I don’t mess up, I get a reward.” Salvation and eternal life come because of who God is not who I am. I can rest and rejoice in that but also need to go on. If salvation were the only goal for us, would it not be like parents wanting kids with no desire to raise them?

God’s desire for me is a personal and active relationship. Without it, what purpose is my life? Take me straight to heaven if there is no reason to be here. The reason is to grow and mature in Him. Jesus came to set the example and it was not one of simply waiting for the cross. His life was active – daily spending time with the Father then going to where the people were and ministering to their needs.

Are we perfect? No, but so much more than just forgiven.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your saying many of the things I would like to say, but better. I've added you to my blog under Blog I Read, along with For The God-hungry, Jim Winter's blog. That's where I found your name. I hope you continue writing. If your published in hardcopy I would like to know.

A friend and fellow pastor recently called me, saying he is rereading Dallas Willard and creating some spiritual discipline helps of his own. (We work in Wales).

John 12 was a helpful meditation for me today.

Thank you for your ministry. God's blessings.