Sunday, July 20, 2008

10 Summer Camp Memories


Yesterday dropped my daughter at Kanakuk K-West Kamp in Missouri. Absolutely the best christian camps and her favorite place in the whole world.

Got me thinking about going to camp as a kid. Ten things I remember about Summer Camp:
  1. The List - that long list of everything to take.
  2. Night Sounds - Fan spinning and the crickets chirping as I fell asleep.
  3. Shaving Cream - Not to shave but for fights or filling sleeping bags.
  4. Smells - Waking up to the smell of bacon in the morning.
  5. Kids - Thousands of kids. Camp was almost bigger then my hometown.
  6. Vespers - First time I remember sitting still long enough to hear God work in my heart.
  7. Top Bunk - The only way to go as a kid. Now bottom bunk sounds so much better.
  8. Food - The food may not have been great but being so hungry it all tastes good.
  9. Girls - At 12-17 years old, nothing like the chance to meet and date girls you didn't grow up with.
  10. That Mountain Top Experience - Actually finding myself changed when I got home. Too bad it too often faded away.
I pray she finds God around every corner the next two weeks and builds strong friendships with girls from around the country. It is hard to let go for two weeks but I know she is building her own list of summer camp memories that will be with her the rest of her life.

No comments: